Wednesday 5 January 2011

Orange peel

Last Tuesday two things happened.

1 - spider bite - ouchy
2 - sun burn - double ouchy

So here I am a week later suffering from an ailment that I can't even remember the last time I suffered from... A type of leprosy normally reserved for those who choose to rotisserie chicken themselves in the sun while smothered in baby oil. A skin condition akin to a snake shedding it's skin all because the person is too lazy to moisturize. I am neither of those people. And yet here I am inflicted by the same disease - Peeling.

I haven't peeled since I was a teenager I think. Although I could be wrong. And possibly am. The important thing is that I don't actually remember the last time as it was that long long ago.

I have suffered from worse things than peeling. There was one ski trip in the early 90's where the Fenton family and mine learned the true value of zinc. Kerri and I drank (and ate) through straws after the first day in the sun. Blisters covered our faces, hands and anywhere else the sun had reached. It hurt to laugh, it hurt to eat, it hurt when the sun touched our faces, and it hurt when you accidentally rolled over in the night and popped a blister. Juicy. And ouchy.

There was this particularly juicy one on Keza's ear that looked like when it popped half her ear would fall off. It did pop. But the ear stayed on. And every time I think of our panda eyed blister party on our faces I hear a woman in an American drawl tut at us and say "cancer cancer cancer" in the toilets of the burger king on the American base we had stopped for lunch (and shopping) in.

I will now go to ensure the collar of my shirt is high enough to stop the people of the train suffering the shock of seeing my juvenile skin condition. Long shirts in sunny Melbourne suck. But do prevent further damage.

P.S - spidey bite has eased but may have left some skin discoloration. God damned spidey.

No comments:

Post a Comment